"Make the Mansion yours"
Thank you for a wonderful 2023 Season. See you for "Brewster in Bloom" in April of 24'
The Staff and Friends of Crosby Mansion
The Saving of Tawasentha
The mansion was named “Tawasentha” by its original owners, Albert and Matilda Crosby, based on an excerpt in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "Song of Hiawatha".
The Town of Brewster and the Friends of Crosby Mansion invite you to enjoy the relaxed splendor of Crosby Mansion and learn about the storied past of this living mansion. We currently offer public and private tours, function rentals, and volunteering through The Friends of Crosby, who continue the loving restoration they began in 1992.
ORIGINS OF THE MANSION
Built during the period of 1876-1888, Crosby Mansion, named Tawasentha by its original owners, is located on the west side of Crosby Lane. The mansion overlooks the famous Brewster Flats on Cape Cod Bay. Owners Albert and Matilda Crosby travelled to Europe in the mid-1870s, bringing worldwide influences home to the Cape to be incorporated into its design. It is a magnificent Colonial Revival being designed with tasteful French and Asian influences, among others.
In 1888, the builder, Mr. Frank H. Hinckley of Yarmouth, invited the public and press to inspect the newly built house while the Crosbys were visiting Paris. Attendees marveled at the gas light and indoor plumbing – the first house on the Cape to incorporate all of these features.
Throughout its grand three stories, English oak, Indian mahogany, English tiled fireplaces, and other handcrafted materials from around the world, transformed by local craftsmen, are still observable today. Matilda Crosby often had her woven rugs brought onto the front lawn for parties with the Nickersons.
Please JOIN US for a fun, relaxed afternoon of local lore from a time that, in many ways, still exists at Crosby Mansion.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MANSION
1876 - 1888 – The mansion build is completed by the Hinckley Co.
1928 – After the passing of Albert and Matilda, the property passed to her two grandnieces. Unable to maintain the large mansion, they had to sell... more on that at our live tours!
1930s – Martha Atwood bought the property and formed the Cape Cod Institute of Art.
1950s – The property became the Gold Coast Inn and Restaurant.
1970s – Dr. Spago ran a successful summer camp for young women.
1985 – The state acquired the property as part of a bayside adjunct to Nickerson State Park. It fell into advanced disrepair.
1992 – The Friends of Crosby Mansion petitioned the state and began its massive restoration.
2023 – The Town of Brewster and the Friends of Crosby continue the fastidious upkeep for its unique history, character, and the public's enjoyment. In the spirit of Matilda and Albert we move progressively forward with the activities of the mansion, motivated by the living energy that it continues to exude.
How Can We Help?
General inquiries below.
163 Crosby Lane
P.O. Box 1888
Brewster, MA 02631
Properties Manager - Events
Public Summer Tours 2023
Every Sunday and Wednesday have concluded.
Public tours resume for Columbus Day Weekend Sun. and Mon only. 11am-3pm
For Function rental information or Private bus tours please contact us.